Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a small commission if you make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. For more information, please visit our Disclaimer Page.
Are you experiencing low voice message volume on WhatsApp while using your iPhone? This issue can be frustrating, especially when you receive important voice messages from friends, family, or colleagues.
Table of Contents
WhatsApp Low Voice Message Volume On iPhone: 11 Potential Fixes
If you are experiencing low-volume issues while playing WhatsApp voice messages on your iPhone, there are several solutions to this problem that you can try to resolve the issue and enjoy clear and audible voice messages on WhatsApp.
1. Turn Off and Turn On iPhone
Restarting your iPhone by powering it off completely and then back on is a quick troubleshooting step worth trying if you notice low volume in WhatsApp voice messages.
The restart can clear out minor software glitches impacting audio playback and reset key systems to proper working order.
However, since this is just a temporary band-aid fix, it likely won’t resolve any hardware faults or larger iOS/app bugs causing persistent sound issues in WhatsApp.
If you find that doing this doesn’t solve your low-volume issues, move on to the next potential fixes.
2. Device Volume Settings
One of the most common reasons for low call sound volume is incorrect device volume settings.
The first thing you should check is your device volume. Make sure that your volume is turned up high enough.
To Do that:
- While you are on a call, turn up the volume
- If this fixes your issue, then that means your call volume was not loud enough
- and you don’t have a silent mode on. If your device volume is low, you may not be able to hear your calls properly.
Another problem that could affect WhatsApp volume is the noise cancellation feature.
To Turn off Noise Cancellation
- Go to your device settings.
- Tap “Sounds & Haptics”
- Scroll down and look for “Audio/Visual” and tap it
- Now toggle off “Phone Noise Cancellation”
It should be noted that some iPhone models do not have the noise cancellation feature available.
In addition, if you also have silent mode enabled this could be an underlying problem.
To Turn off Silent Mode:
- On the left hand side of your iPhone, you’ll see a toggle above your volume settings
- If it’s showing orange, you are in silent mode. Switch it up to disable silent mode
3. Microphone Access
Voice messages require mic access; if you do not have this feature on your iPhone enabled, it could be the cause of your problems.
- Go to your iPhone’s “Settings”
- Go to “Privacy & Security” and look for “Microphone”
- A list of apps that use your microphone will request for access here/ When you see “Whatsapp”, toggle it on
4. Uninstall & Reinstall Whatsapp
Uninstalling and reinstalling WhatsApp could potentially help fix voice message issues on an iPhone, but there are some caveats:
- Clears all app data – A full uninstall completely wipes all cached data, settings, and configurations for a clean slate.
- May fix corrupted files – Any corrupted audio files or data causing voice message problems are removed.
- Could resolve app crashes – If issues arise from bugs in the app code itself, reinstalling brings fresh code.
- Quick to test – Uninstalling and reinstalling WhatsApp through the App Store takes just a few minutes.
- You’ll lose all WhatsApp messages – Unless properly backed up, the full history of conversations will be deleted.
- Settings are reset – Any customized notifications, privacy settings, and other preferences will need to be set up again.
- Problems could remain – If issues are due to larger iOS or device problems, reinstalling app may not help.
- Temporary fix – Corrupted data could return unless the root cause is addressed.
So in summary, reinstalling WhatsApp may help resolve voice message bugs, but also comes with drawbacks. If you insist on doing this, make sure you back up your WhatsApp account.
5. Close Music Apps
Although the iPhone can only play audio from one app at a time. If a music app is actively playing music in the background, WhatsApp may not be able to gain access to play back a voice message. This can help prevent any interference with the sound quality.
6. iPhone Speakers
Issues with the iPhone’s built-in speakers can cause problems when playing WhatsApp voice messages. Here are some common speaker-related problems:
Faulty or blown speakers
If the hardware speakers are damaged, audio quality will be degraded or not work at all. Depending on the damage, it may require repair or replacement.
As an iPhone is used, dust particles from pockets, bags, etc. can accumulate in the tiny speaker holes along the bottom edge. Enough dust can clog the speakers and make audio quiet or muffled. Below is a great video on how to clean your iPhone speakers.
Although newer iPhones are way more resistant to water, models older than the iPhone 7 aren’t. Even so, if you expose water to your phone for a long period of time, it could lead to a water-damaged phone and speakers.
It should be okay if you have a newer model and only spilled water on your phone or dropped it. Play one of these YouTube videos on blast to get water out of your speakers.
7. Check Your iPhone’s Bluetooth Settings
If you have connected your iPhone to a Bluetooth device, such as a speaker or headphones, the voice messages may be playing through that device instead of your iPhone’s speaker.
To check this, go to Settings > Bluetooth and make sure the Bluetooth device is not connected or turn off Bluetooth.
8. Updating WhatsApp
Your current version of Whatsapp if not updated may be incompatible with your iPhone’s iOS version, or it may have some audio bugs in its current version.
So ensure you have the latest version of WhatsApp installed on your iPhone. Go to the App Store and check for updates.
9. Updating iPhone iOS
Periodically updating your iPhone to the latest iOS version can help resolve many software-related issues that may interfere with recording or playing back WhatsApp voice messages properly.
While updating iOS is no guarantee, it eliminates many common culprits that can introduce audio bugs and glitches into apps like WhatsApp.
10. Test Network Connection
Poor network connectivity can also cause low-volume issues or cause it to sound choppy. To fix this, make sure you have a stable internet connection or if you have unlimited data, make sure cellular data is enabled for WhatsApp.
11. Low Power Mode
Although it’s nice to get some additional battery life on your iPhone, Low Power Mode may impact your WhatsApp Voice messages.
When the feature is enabled, some advanced settings in WhatsApp may get disabled, which could impact voice messages.
Also, audio quality and performance may be degraded, leading to lower sounding, choppy or distorted playback.
To disable Power saving mode in iPhone
- Go to your “Settings”, tap “Battery” and toggle off “Low Power Mode”.
12. Contact WhatsApp Support
If none of the above steps work, contact WhatsApp support for further assistance. WhatsApp staff may be able to provide step-by-step instructions for adjusting settings or troubleshooting voice message problems.
If it’s a problem with the current version of whatsapp, they may be able to suggest temporary workarounds for voice message problems while permanent fixes or updates are developed.
13. Factory Reset iPhone
If all else fails, try a factory reset of your iPhone. This will erase all data and settings, so make sure to back up your data before doing this.
In summary, there are several steps you can take to address low or inconsistent volume when playing WhatsApp voice messages on an iPhone.
Start with simpler fixes like adjusting the iPhone volume, ensuring microphone access for WhatsApp, closing other audio apps, and checking for speaker obstructions.
If the issues persist, try uninstalling and reinstalling WhatsApp, updating the app and iOS software, switching networks, disabling power saving mode, and contacting WhatsApp support. You may need professional servicing of the iPhone’s speakers for hardware-related audio issues.
As a last resort, a full factory reset of the iPhone can wipe out any stubborn software glitches, though at the cost of losing your data and settings.
With persistence and systematically working through these troubleshooting techniques, you should be able to resolve any problems you encounter with faint or inaudible WhatsApp voice messages.