Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links, meaning we get a small commission if you make a purchase through our links, at no cost to you. For more information, please visit our Disclaimer Page.
There’s nothing more frustrating than spending hours playing your favorite video game, only to have your controller stop responding to you.
To resync your PS4 controller, turn off the PlayStation. Locate the reset button and using a pin, long press it for a couple of seconds. Now, connect the controller to the console using a USB cable and then turn on the console. Press the PS button on the controller as the console powers up.
Why Is My PS4 Controller Not Connecting?
Most PS4 gamers are familiar with the frustration of a malfunctioning controller. There are several common reasons why your DualShock 4 controller may run into issues.
Wireless Connection Problems
It’s worth noting that your DualShock 4 controller connects wirelessly through a standard Bluetooth connection. Thus, if you have multiple devices connected to your controller, you may need to disconnect then reconnect afresh.
PS4 controllers are more sensitive to dents in USB cables than other devices. The cable may charge your phone or tablet and fail to connect your DualShock due to a new small dent.
To avoid syncing problems, consider reserving the controller cable only for use by the controller.
Occasionally, connection problems could be a hardware problem rather than a software problem. In particular for PS4 controllers, the problem might be with the buttons.
Maybe they are worn out. At times, they also get stuck because of the spillage of sugary drinks or the build up of debris.
When you try to hold down the controller buttons but there is no effect on the screen display, check how clean the area around the buttons is. If you spot signs of dust, grime, or food particles, clean the controller.
Here are some tips on how to properly clean your PS4 DualShock 4 controller:
- Dip some cotton swabs into diluted alcohol. Isopropyl Alcohol 99% rubbing alcohol is the most suitable.
- Use a clean soft toothbrush to wipe off any sticky dust, oil, and grime around the buttons and in between the plastic and rubber joints.
- If you can open the controller, use a microfiber cloth in the areas around the controller’s electronic circuits, motherboard, and battery.
- Leave the controller to completely dry up before attempting to use it again.
Out of Date Software
Though uncommon, sometimes outdated software may disrupt your connections. Your controller connects to your console through a Bluetooth connection.
PlayStation offers regular updates, some of which can cause your Bluetooth connections to fail.
Updates often come with security patches and the latest features to fix problems with past software versions. If your controller isn’t syncing with your console, a missing software update could be the culprit.
How Do I Resync My PS4 Controller?
It’s frustrating when you see the controller lights pulse orange, meaning the controller is not connected to the PS4 console.
There are several ways you can resync your controller and console when you lose the connection. There are a number of ways you can resync your PS4 controller and console.
The DualShock4 has an easy fix for controller issues. The quick wireless reset works in most situations.
- Charge the controller for at least 30 minutes.
- Switch on the PS4.
- Hold down the Share and PS buttons simultaneously on long press.
- When the PS4 powers on fully, the controller will automatically seek new connections.
Like with most electronics, sometimes all you need to do is to unplug the device then plug it back in. Here are the basic steps:
- Use voice or a working controller to power down your PS4. Make sure it’s completely powered down and not just switched to rest mode.
- Unplug the PS4 console from the power outlet and let it rest for about five minutes.
- After five minutes, touch the console and feel if it’s warm. If it’s warmer than room temperature, give it more rest time. This warm temperature after five minutes of rest should also indicate a cooling problem which you will need to sort out before you resume playing.
- If the console has cooled down, plug it back into the power outlet.
- Try using the malfunctioning controller to turn on the PS4. It should work. If it doesn’t, use our next guide with a working controller.
Use Alternative Controller to Reset
If you have another controller that works, you can use it to reset the system and resync the controller that isn’t working.
- Start by charging both controllers for at least 30 minutes.
- Switch off the PS4 completely. Plug it out then back in to be sure.
- Use the working controller to power on the PS4.
- Use the working controller to go to the menu. Click on devices, then go to Bluetooth.
- Delete all saved controllers except the one showing a green dot beside it.
- Pick up the non-connecting controller and simultaneously press the PS button and the share button on long press for a few seconds.
- The second controller will show up on your display. It is now connected to the console.
How Do You Sync PS4 Controller with Cable?
Syncing your PS4 controller using a cable is often the solution when the controller isn’t connecting wirelessly to the console. Here are the step-by-step guides on how to use a cable to sync your controller:
- Switch off the PS4.
- Connect the controller to the PS4 using the USB cable you normally use for charging it.
- Switch on the PS4.
- Wait for approximately one hour for the controller to fully charge.
- Once charged, press the PS button on the controller. The setup will produce a beep sound and will automatically begin syncing the controller to the PS4 console.
- If the pairing isn’t successful, then your cable might be faulty. Use a different cable and repeat the steps once more.
If you try option one with multiple cables and the controller still won’t sync, then you might have to resort to a complete reset of your controller. Here are the steps:
- Turn off the PS4.
- Unplug the ethernet cable or switch off your internet router. An internet connection might interfere with the controller-console syncing process.
- Pick up your controller, turn it upside down, and right next to the L2 button you will see a tiny hole housing the reset button.
- Using a small pin, long-press the reset button for approximately five seconds.
- Using the USB cable, connect the controller to the PS4 console.
- Switch on the console.
- As the console powers up, continuously press the PS button on your controller until you hear a beep. The controller should start automatically syncing to the PS4 console.
When syncing your controller fails even when using a USB cable, it’s probably time to look at the console end. Quite often, the problem might lie in your system updates. You might need to update to the latest PS4 software to sync your DualShock 4.
Software updates typically include security improvements, bug fixes, connectivity fixes, and often some new features. In case your controller isn’t syncing with your console, you might have missed a crucial software update fixing a particular connectivity issue.
In its default setting, your PS4 is meant to automatically update system software releases. However, sometimes you need to manually force a systems software update to correct any malfunctions. If your controller isn’t connecting, manually updating the software could be your solution. Here is how to manually update your PS4 software:
- Using a working controller, go to the PS4 settings.
- Go to ‘System Software Update.’
- Select and go to ‘Update Now.’
- The system should show whether there are available updates. Use the prompts to go to the next step then wait for the download to complete.
- Once the download is done, click on ‘Accept’ to run the software update.
- The update will begin installing. Your PS4 may restart one or more times as it updates.
- Once the update completes, use the controller that’s not working to start the PS4.
- If the controller doesn’t work, use the working controller and use the guide above under the subheading “Use Alternative Controller to Reset.”
Hopefully, by the time you reached the end of this article that one of the above methods works out for you!